March has been a busy month for the Coalition against Typhoid (CaT) Secretariat. We published a summary of the 9th International Conference on Typhoid and Invasive Non-Typhoidal Salmonella Disease, celebrated World Water Day, and prepared for the launch of our Knowledge Exchange Newsletter!
With this newsletter, CaT hopes to engage the typhoid community through the sharing of current news, publications, research and events. I hope you will join us in this effort. Do you have a new paper, story or update to share? Email us at CaT@sabin.org, and we’ll add your announcement to the newsletter.
Together, we can create a collaborative forum for the typhoid community.
Denise Garrett, MD, MS
Director, Coalition against Typhoid (CaT) Secretariat
Vaccine Advocacy and Education
Sabin Vaccine Institute
The number of cases in Harare, Zimbabwe caused the city council to declare outbreak status as of March 8.
Suspected typhoid fever and dysentery killed 13 individuals in a Nigerian community in late February.
- Enteric Fever and Invasive Nontyphoidal Salmonellosis—9th International Conference on Typhoid and Invasive NTS Disease, Bali, Indonesia, April 30–May 3, 2015 Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Typhoid Fever Surveillance in Africa Program (TSAP) supplement Clinical Infectious Diseases
Genomics and Host Susceptibility
- Salmonella Suppresses the TRIF-Dependent Type I Interferon Response in Macrophages
- Loss of Multicellular Behavior in Epidemic African Nontyphoidal Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium ST313 Strain D23580
- Regulation and production of Tcf, a cable-like fimbriae from Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi
- Salmonella Typhimurium undergoes distinct genetic adaption during chronic infections of mice
- Global MLST of Salmonella Typhi Revisited in Post-genomic Era: Genetic Conservation, Population Structure, and Comparative Genomics of Rare Sequence Types
- A novel ciprofloxacin-resistant subclade of H58 Salmonella Typhi is associated with fluoroquinolone treatment failure
- Efficacy and Safety of Vi-Tetanus Toxoid conjugated Typhoid vaccine (PedaTyphTM) in Indian Children: School Based Cluster Randomized Study
Diagnostics and Treatments
- Typhoid intestinal perforation: Point-of-care ultrasound as a diagnostic tool in a rural Ugandan Hospital
- Development of a simple, peripheral blood-based lateral-flow dipstick assay for accurate detection of patients with enteric fever
- Typhoid Fever, Water Quality, and Human Capital Formation
- March 2, Washington, D.C.– The House Committee on Foreign Affairs held a subcommittee hearing, The Growing Threat of Cholera and Other Diseases in the Middle East. Dr. Issam Raad, president of Health Outreach to the Middle East, cited multidrug resistant typhoid as a growing concern in his testimony.
- March 22– CaT celebrated World Water Day with a blog post on the intersection of typhoid, WASH and conflict. We also highlighted the importance of WASH to typhoid prevention on social media with #WASHoutTyphoid.