Stories of Typhoid: Meet Dr. Asim Shrestha
Meet Asim Shrestha. As a practicing pediatrician in Dhulikhel Hospital in Kavre District, Nepal, Dr. Shrestha is all too familiar with the story of typhoid. A steady stream of children pass through his ward, sick with the disease.
Doctors in typhoid endemic areas, working with limited resources and time, often must make all kinds of difficult decisions. Doctors like Dr. Shrestha must simply do the best they can based on their experience and knowledge, and hope for something better. For Dr. Shrestha, that hope rests in the form of vaccines.
Read more about his story.
The 10th International Conference on Typhoid and Other Invasive Salmonelloses is four months away. Are you planning to join us in Kampala? Here are some important dates and deadlines:
- January 1: Late Breaker abstract submissions open
- January 31: Late Breaker abstract submissions close
- March 6: Online registration closes
Other important conference dates and travel information can be found on our website. We hope to see you all April 4-6, 2017 in Uganda. Register today!
- Malawi – Traditional chiefs of Ndirande Township visited the Malawi-Liverpool Wellcome Trust laboratory to learn about the process of typhoid fever testing
- Nepal – Health facilities in Bajura have been running out of medicine, forcing them to refer typhoid patients to private clinics
- Nigeria – The demolition of a large waterfront slum in Lagos has rendered 30,000 people homeless. Reported consequences include typhoid infection from a lack of potable water and sanitation
- Zimbabwe – The Bulawayo City Council has implemented a water-rationing program due to the current drought in Zimbabwe, which has caused outbreaks of typhoid and other waterborne diseases. However, the Environmental Management Agency has called Bulawayo’s continued discharge of raw effluent into the Umguza River a “potential time bomb“
Grants and Funding News
- University of Maryland – The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation awarded a $36.9 million grant to the University of Maryland School of Medicine’s Center for Vaccine Development to accelerate the introduction of typhoid conjugate vaccines
- University of Otago – Researchers from the University of Otago have received a $439,000 grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to study severe typhoid fever in northern Tanzania
From the Blog
- High and Dry with Typhoid – In the wake of the strongest El Nino event ever recorded, severe drought is strongly affecting parts of Southern Africa, causing crops to fail and water sources to dry up
- Antimicrobial resistance and molecular subtypes of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi isolates from Kolkata, India over a 15 years period 1998-2012 – International Journal of Medical Microbiology
Case Report/Clinical Outcome
- Severe thrombocytopenia in a child with typhoid fever: a case report – Journal of Medical Case Reports
- Acute Undifferentiated Febrile Illness in Patients Presenting to a Tertiary Care Hospital in South India: Clinical Spectrum and Outcome – Journal of Global Infectious Disease
- Retrospective case control study on typhoid and non-typhoid small bowel perforation – International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences
- Geographical distribution of typhoid risk factors in low and middle income countries – BMC Infectious Diseases
- Salmonella enterica Serotype Napoli is the First Cause of Invasive Nontyphoidal Salmonellosis in Lombardy, Italy (2010-2014), and Belongs to Typhi Subclade – Foodborne Pathogens and Disease
- Identification of Five Novel Salmonella Typhi-Specific Genes as Markers for Diagnosis of Typhoid Using Single-Gene Target PCR Assays – Biomed Research International
- Near-atomic-resolution cryo-EM analysis of the Salmonella T3S injectisome basal body – Nature
- The type III secretion system effector SptP of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi – Journal of Bacteriology
- Low and declining attack rates of imported typhoid fever in the Netherlands 1997-2014, in spite of a restricted vaccination policy – BMC Infectious Diseases
- Purification and antigenic detection of O-specific polysaccharides of Salmonella enterica serovar Paratyphi A isolate from Pakistan: an emerging threat – SpringerPlus
- Role of T3SS-1 SipD Protein in Protecting Mice against Non-typhoidal Salmonella Typhimurium – PLoS Neglected Tropical Disease
To contribute to the Coalition Against Typhoid Knowledge Exchange Newsletter, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Like us on Facebook and Twitter for frequent updates.